Impact Law Firm
115 W. 3rd St.
Tulsa, OK 74103
View Larger Map
Safety at the Dog Park
Oklahoma statutes clearly state that dog owners are liable for their dogs. In addition, if a dog is deemed to be dangerous and bites an individual “without provocation, and the injured individual is in or on a place where he has a lawful right to be,” the dog owner is liable for damages. Dog owners of dangerous dogs are required to register and enclose their dogs unless they are leased and muzzled, and must also post liability insurance in the amount of $50,000. Failure to abide by this statute can result in the owner’s dog being confiscated, and the owner may face a misdemeanor charge of one-year.
As dog parks become more popular, as is true in Tulsa, more individuals are likely to be injured by dogs running loose without leases.
Dog Park Regulations
Most dog parks have regulations in place that are supposed to assist in preventing serious injuries, and enforce safety at the dog park. These include:
- Immediate removal of dogs with aggressive or unruly behavior
- Dogs must remain with their owners at all times
- Dog owners are required to pick up after their dogs (many dog parks provide plastic bags and containers for this purpose)
- Small children under the age of 10 are not allowed in many dog parks
- Dogs must be a minimum of four months old
- Food, other than training treats, are not allowed, and owners are not allowed to have alcohol or tobacco products in the dog park
- Most parks permit only two dogs per owner
- Dogs must have proof of current rabies shots
Abiding by the above regulations will help improve safety at the dog park.
Personal Injury Representation in Tulsa
If you have been the victim of a dog bite, you need to contact the Tulsa personal injury lawyer at Impact Law regarding your injuries and your rights. Call today for a free consultation or contact us by email.